• Français (France)
  • Thai ไทย (ภาษาไทย)
  • 한국어 (Korean)
  • Deutsch (Deutschland)
  • English (United Kingdom)
Path:HomeForumLeague ForumGeneral • For the Captains Meeting: Slight change to Rankings

Annonce

Vous devez activer Javascript pour utiliser ce site

For the Captains Meeting: Slight change to Rankings

Plus d'informations
il y a 12 ans 2 mois - il y a 12 ans 2 mois #307 par Ralph-Michael Chiaia
THE STORY
Two weeks ago in Phillies Arno had an incredible night where he didn't miss any shots. He had an eight-ball run (win), a break and run (win), and an eight-ball run that ended with a tough bank that saw the cue ball go in too (loss). So he went 2 for 3 with two special games and went down 20 points in the IPL rankings. Clearly, he was a bit discouraged.
THE RANKINGS
The rankings we use are certainly good enough (even though they were designed for chess). I am not suggesting that they be overhauled. All I'm suggesting is that when a player gets a special game that player gets special points. I propose getting 10 points for a special game. You get an 8-ball run and it's plus 10. You get a Break and Run and it's plus 10. The normal points you would get plus 10. Pretty easy to add to the site. No drawback. As it stands now you cannot gain many points in a night but you sure can lose a lot. This will balance that out. Pool is the kind of game where anybody can win at any time. Look at the Goliath Winners.
THE COUNTER-ARGUMENT
Some of you will say that the divide between the good player and novice will widen. That may or may not be so. If a player's ranking is higher, that player will lose more points for a loss, so this may end up balancing out. Some of you will say change is bad. It isn't. It at least doesn't have to be. As Jeff Potter noted in one of his posts, "Improvement is simply the application of the right ideas."
THANKSThanks for considering this idea. Please reply with your support or other ideas.

Dernière édition: il y a 12 ans 2 mois par Ralph-Michael Chiaia.

Connexion pour participer à la conversation.

Plus d'informations
il y a 12 ans 2 mois #310 par Charlie Brennan
Are you saying that a player loses more points when their opponent break and runs the table?

Plus d'informations
il y a 12 ans 2 mois - il y a 12 ans 2 mois #311 par Ralph-Michael Chiaia
Charlie, Absolutely Not! I don't think the losing player should lose ANY points against a break and run (but that's another issue). I'm simply saying that a player should get a BONUS for any Special Games (Break and Run, 8-Ball run, and even 8-ball in on the break). It's a fun league and we should celebrate accomplishments.
Dernière édition: il y a 12 ans 2 mois par Ralph-Michael Chiaia.

Plus d'informations
il y a 12 ans 2 mois #314 par Arnaud Ogier
I like the ideas and the example but I mightnotbe totally objective :-)

Plus d'informations
il y a 12 ans 2 mois #327 par Jim Dewey
I am not in agreement with giving points for special games. The ranking system, as I understand it, was designed originally (in chess) as a win/loss measure. This is win/loss (win percentage) versus an overall performance. In America the APA (American Pool Association) uses a handicap system. I have never played under that system so I do not have first hand knowledge, but from reading about the system, it uses many factors of the game to come up with a "performance" based rating.

Among the facts kept about each individual game, in addition to the winner and loser, are:
Number of innings in match
Early 8-ball pocketing
8-ball scratch
8-ball wrong pocket
8-on-the-break
Break and run
Time outs taken
Number of defensive shots

The league does recognize the performance of an individual achieving the special games. This raises the question "Why should there be more recognition?"

As IPL is a social league originally conceived and built to provide "fun, organized, competitive" pool, expanding a simple win/loss measure would appear to be more than what has helped the league to grow from the original 6 teams. As has been pointed out, change is not bad and even change for the sake of change may provide useful results. Certainly the league has changed over the past 10+ years.

Since the introduction of the rating system, many players have asked the question, "Hey I won 2 of 3 games last week and still lost points, how can that be." Whether it was 1, 10, or 20 points did not stop the question. Arbitrarily adding points is not going to provide a real answer to that question.

Plus d'informations
il y a 12 ans 2 mois #328 par Bernard Condrau
May I add to Jim's post, that the current ranking system is easy to administer. While winners and losers in matches are set correctly, table runs are often forgotten to enter or even to mark on the score sheet. In previous years, when someone posted "hey, I did an 8-ball run in game 7", the league officials just modified the match information. After all, should someone have cheated to get a pin he/she did not deserve, it did not affect anyone else. This simple procedure might not be applicable anymore if we make the rankings depend on more than a win or a loss.

Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from making bad decisions. [Samuel Langhorne Clemens]

Temps de génération de la page : 0.031 secondes

Cookies

Nous utilisons des cookies pour améliorer votre expérience de site et CAPTCHA pour prévenir les abus. Nous n'utilisons pas de cookies pour le suivi ou l'identification de l'utilisateur. Veuillez lire notre politique de confidentialité (vos informations personnelles) pour plus de détails.