• Français (France)
Path:HomeForumLeague ForumGeneral • Timeout Protocol

Notice

You need to enable Javascript to use this site

Timeout Protocol

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #521 by Brandon Soliven
Replied by Brandon Soliven on topic Re:Timeout Protocol
"the time-out ends ...when the player makes contact with the cue ball with his/her cue to execute a shot"
Bernard, the way the rule is written now makes an even stronger case for my proposal. If the timeout ends only when the players cue tip makes contact with the cue ball, then his/her teammates can stand next to him/her the whole time coaching the player. Even while stroking the shot because until that tip hits the ball the timeout is still active. You quoted 1.6.10 but right before that in 1.6.9 it states that when the player get's into shooting position the teammates/coaches must leave. But why do they have to leave if technically the timeout is still active? The player's cue still hasn't made contact with the cue ball yet. Players always get down into shooting position and get back up again to reassess the situation or take another walk around the table. This is when teammates continue to give advice.

The ambiguity is confusion of everyone watching when the timeout is actually over. A lot of people think it's when the player gets down. But as the rule above states it technically is not. A lot of people think it's when the teammates move away. Then a lot of times teammates come back to give more advice. Then you have the opposing team jumping up saying it's a foul.
A simple declaration of the intended call should indicate that the timeout is over. No more help. No more deciding. Any coaching after the called shot is a foul.

Paparazzi
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Brandon Soliven.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #522 by Kyle Hathaway
Replied by Kyle Hathaway on topic Re:Timeout Protocol

I concur with both of these recommendations!!!

[Brandon Soliven 2013-01-15, 14:08:50]:
Two things regarding Timeout Protocol:

1. Calling your shot after declaring a timeout signifies the end of the timeout.
It's simple and it does two things. It indicates the called shot at the same time it signals the end of the timeout. As soon as the player who called the timeout declares his/her shot this will indicate to the opposing player, team, and referee that the timeout is *over*. Any guidance from teammates *after* this declaration will result in a ball in hand foul.
If this is implemented let's act like grown ups and let the refs warn everyone after the declaration no-more help. At least for a while until everyone gets used to the rule.
2. During timeouts the cue ball is no longer nuclear fissile material.
I have no idea how this rule came into being but I cannot for the life of me see how any advantage is gained if one of your team members touches the cue ball during a timeout. Someone please educate me. So a better player on your team takes the ball and positions it on the table. So what? What's the difference if he put his finger on the same spot and you placed the ball there yourself? Or if he tells you "no a little to the left, a little more, ok that's it!" This touching the cueball time-bomb rule seems petty and a shitty way to get a ball in hand. What if this happened in the final game of a championship match? That would suck big time. I also would apply the same logic to grabbing the players cue. In the end the player has to shoot the shot and no one else.
Getting rid of the current rule would simplify timeouts and quite frankly get rid of some silly arguments about touching a cue ball when it's not even in play.
. . . argument activated!
Paparazzi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Cookies

We use cookies to improve your site experience and captcha to prevent abuse. We do not use cookies for tracking or user identification. Please read our Privacy Policy for details.