Path:HomeForumLeague ForumGeneral • Rating Formula

Notice

You need to enable Javascript to use this site

Rating Formula

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #804 by Lenny Erickson
Replied by Lenny Erickson on topic Re:Rating Formula
Blah, blah, blah.
Good crap, Arno. Now I've got that freaking headache again.
Lenny Erickson.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #809 by Arnaud Ogier
Replied by Arnaud Ogier on topic Re:Rating Formula
Last time I checked score sheet I thought: Paul did really great, one break and run and one 8 ball run the same night. Well when I had a closer look I noticed that he lost some points.I was wondering if we shouldn't give some bonus points for B&R and 8BR like 10 and 5?I guess it was already discussed somewhere sometimes ago.

More
10 years 1 week ago #811 by Bernard Condrau
Replied by Bernard Condrau on topic Re:Rating Formula
No, we should not. Runs are rewarded with pins, ratings reflect games won or lost, no matter how it was achieved. Paul won his two singles games when rated 436 points higher than his opponent (gained 2 points in rating per game), and then lost his doubles with 369 points higher average rating than his opponents (lost 14 points in rating). Whether his partner screwed up in the doubles game, or Paul had a bad game after 2 great games, or they scratched on the 8, or their opponents played a great game, or... it does not matter, they simply lost the game.

Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from making bad decisions. [Samuel Langhorne Clemens]

More
10 years 1 week ago #812 by Arnaud Ogier
Replied by Arnaud Ogier on topic Re:Rating Formula
Bernard I know all of that but I still believe that when you break and run It doesn't depend of the ranking of your opponent, so why taking into account his ranking or only his ranking? Of course, you can always argue that is like that and not otherwise, period. It will not convince me...

More
10 years 1 week ago #813 by Bernard Condrau
Replied by Bernard Condrau on topic Re:Rating Formula
Fair enough, you post your opinion, I post mine. You are not the only one raising this point, and yes, it has been discussed many times. It also has been voted on by captains before.
There are plenty of aspects to this, for example, whether the player losing to a "break and run" should lose points in his/her rating, without having approached the table even once. Or, whether a player who wins a game because the other player runs the table and then scratches on the 8 should increase in his/her rating. Or, whether applying a rating system borrowed from chess is the correct thing to do in our league. The way of how ratings are calculated have not changed since ratings were introduced to the league back in 2002.
We are not a professional league; our rating system is simple, understandable, and allows simple administration of the league. We had 16 break and runs in 2402 games so far this season, in 7 of them the players lost points at the end of the day, but there is only 1 player who won 2 singles games (and then lost his points in the doubles game). I trust Paul will get over it.

Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from making bad decisions. [Samuel Langhorne Clemens]

More
10 years 1 week ago #814 by Paul Riddle
Replied by Paul Riddle on topic Re:Rating Formula
Guys I'm so flattered by getting all this attention! Interestingly, one of the biggest reasons Sam and I lost the doubles game is because we got greedy and wanted an 8 ball run. We had to get a couple of balls out of the way in preparation, and the other team had been continuously pocketing balls. When we finally had a somewhat open table to look at, we of course got out of shape, then fouled, then missed an easy shot to give them chance for the win and they took it! They played quite well and absolutely deserve the win, and the points I gave them.Sure it would be nice to get more points for an 8 ball run or break and run, but then our top 100 list would lose meaning. I like the consistency. This is a proposal that Dabu brought up to a small group during our last tournament: He proposed that we keep our overall rankings, butalso have a newpoint ranking separatewith all players beginning the season at 1600 points. A clean sleight each season, and the player thatimproves the most will get the 'that season best player' (or other title) award or trophy.What do you guys think? I like the idea. BTW I only know of one person who has had 3 special games in one night, and that is none other than Seonghyon Kim. Wow!

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds

Cookies

We use cookies to improve your site experience and captcha to prevent abuse. We do not use cookies for tracking or user identification. Please read our Privacy Policy for details.